Everyone experiences a range of personal transitions as they grow and develop throughout their lives. Some examples are below:
- Physical development from small child to adolescent to adult
- Development of personal interests
- Making and changing friendships
- Moving home
- New family members
- Parents’/carers’ new job may involve working away from home or new shift patterns
- Divorce/separation of parents
- Loss and bereavement
- Starting or moving school
- Leaving school (post-school).
These transitions and the extent of any impact will vary considerably for every autistic learner. This may be due to the levels of understanding, planning and supports in place as well as the learner’s profile of strengths, skills and areas of difficulty.